A mix of flavorful spices coat chickpeas in this easy recipe. An oil-free coating from ground flax helps create a crunchy texture. Make a batch of this gluten-free, plant-based, vegan recipe for healthy snacking. Use in place of croutons of Caesar Salad or serve as an appetizer at a party. These are irresistible!
EASY Servings: 6 Ready In: 50 minutes
1 tsp. flax meal
3 tsp. warm water
1 can Chickpeas
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp turmeric
¼ tsp salt
Dash, black pepper
Pin It, Share It:
To make the Baked Spiced Crunchy Chickpeas:
1. Preheat your oven to 375.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flax meal and warm water. Stir. Set aside for about 5 minutes until the mixture gets gooey and “egg-like”
3. Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas.
4. Once the flax egg is gooey, add the spices: ½ teaspoon each of cumin, chili powder, garlic, powder, and turmeric. Add the salt and pepper. Stir to combine
5. Add the rinsed chickpeas. Stir well to evenly coat the chickpeas with the spice mixture. You should have a pretty thin coating, but try to get it all over all of the chickpeas.
6. Spread the coated chickpeas into a single layer on a baking sheet.
7. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet 10 minutes before enjoying.
Chef’s Tip: The chickpeas should be crunchy after 45 minutes of baking. However, this depends on the quality of your oven and how much humidity you have. If possible, use your “convection” setting, which uses a fan for better circulation of air in your oven. If you don’t have this option, it might simply just take longer for the chickpeas to get crunchy (60-70 minutes).
Chef's Tip: You can experiment with other spices in this spice mix. Chipotle powder would add a spicy kick, while a dash of cinnamon or curry powder would add subtle sweetness.
Yield: 1 ½ cups
Serving size: 1/6 of a recipe (about 2 tablespoons).
Calories From Fat (18%) 8.67
% Daily Value
Total Fat 1.04g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.1g <1%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 164.81mg 7%
Potassium 53.07mg 2%
Total Carbohydrates 7.86g 3%
Fiber 0.27g 1%
Protein 2.42g 5%
Calcium 0.1mg <1%
Iron 17.66mg 98%
Vitamin A 68.94IU 1%
Vitamin C 0.05mg <1%